Over the past month or so, I’ve been working on editing the book I wrote for NaNoWriMo. This was my first year participating in NaNo and I was very happy that I was able to win (although winning NaNo isn’t everything!). I got a great first draft of book two, then put it aside for a bit to let it marinate while i worked on editing book one.
When I revisited book two, I found there was a lot I was unhappy with. I felt like I was missing a subplot to make it more interesting, and my climax just wasn’t cutting it. A lot felt fake.
I was looking around for motivation, and i found some inspiration in current events that inspired me to take the story in a different direction. I switched up a lot, and had to delete a lot, and re-wrote quite a bit. My characters’ personalities changed. Their motivations and actions got flipped upside down. But ultimately, I think it’s a stronger story.
It’s still at least 5,000 words short of where I’d like it to be, so I have a little bit more re-writing to do before I send it out to beta readers in February.
Beyond that, I’ve made a lot of progress in actually doing some plotting (gasp!) for book three, and I’ve started writing that as well. This couple should be very interesting and I’m thrilled to start writing their story. I’ve also been working with a graphic designer to make some images for both my personal brand and for chapter headers.
Finding time to do everything is hard, but I’m committing to creating a quality book and making this into a full-time career. If you’ve made it this far, thanks so much for reading and supporting me.